Skip to main content

Simplicity 1355 - crossover jumpsuit


This was the first jumpsuit pattern (Simplicity 1355 view A)  I have ever made, and honestly, before this I'd only made one wearable pair of pants. I had made 2 pair of pants and 2 pair of shorts but 3 of the 4 were a disaster!


Since I wasn't sure about the fitting, I did make a muslin. Which I don't like doing but seemed necessary in this case.

The fabric I chose was a rayon challis. It's very soft and drapes lovely but man, it wrinkles like crazy. I had to iron it like crazy after I took it out of the dryer! The color is also fabulous, so it's worth it.
Isn't it pretty?

I read in some other reviews that the back was really low, too low to avoid showing your bra so I raised the back piece about an inch, starting below the seam allowance and slanting out to the end of the piece. I didn't raise it too much because you need space to fit into the jumpsuit since there is no zipper. I raised about an inch and if I made this view again, I'd raise it a little more since the top of a bra would still be visible.


The solid red line shows my alteration, the blue dotted line is the original.

I traced this piece from the original pattern piece. Look how attractive my sandal pattern weight is!
The only other alteration I made was to grade from a medium bust to an extra-large hip. I started to grade out below the bust but made sure to be a the large size for the where the bodice and pants meet, so they are the same size pieces and continued until I was at the extra large. I used my French curve to blend my sizes together and get a smooth line.

My muslin was a pretty big in the waist and hip and I should've gone down to a medium waist and large hip, grading out slightly less. However, right before cutting I tried on my muslin again and I had a moment of fear that I would make the final version too small and decided to cut the same as my muslin. This led to me assembling the jumpsuit, deciding it was way too big, taking a part again and taking an inch out from the waist all the way down through the bottom of the pants. It was kind of a pain, because I had to move the pockets over too. Oh well, at least it wasn't too small. :)


Based on the muslin, I needed to extended the back and front crotch lengths. I had to do this on the other pants I’d made too. Though I cut the large hip size, I still used the XL crotch curve on the interior side (as I had on the muslin) because I needed the extra length and I increased the front/back rise of the waist 2 inches, these alterations are how I extended the crotch length. This was a lot because it wasn't that much too small and in my first trial of the garment, yeah the crotch was way too low after adding 4 inches but really just in the front.

If you make this and have a sizeable derriere like me, you’ll definitely want more room that the pattern allows for the rear!

When I took the extra space out in the waist and hip I also raised the front crotch about an inch. I just trimmed an inch off the front middle and slopped it to each side to raise it back up. I probably could’ve gone up another ½ inch or so there but I was worried I’d make it too short and the jumpsuit would be all up in my business all the time!

Lastly, right when I was almost finished, I removed some pins that had been holding the back pieced together at the top (to keep them out of my way while sewing) and the back pieces were gaping open. I thought about tacking the crossed pieces in the seam allowance but in the end I decided to stitch through to the outside because I would be able to get closer to the edge. In reading some other pattern reviews, it seems I wasn't the only one to have this issue.



Overall, this was a good project and the instructions were easy to follow. I have made a lot of pants but the fitting on this was pretty easy, there is plenty of ease in the pattern. The back is still a little low, so if I make it again, I will either raise it another 1 ½ inches or make the halter top version.


Comments

  1. You done good, Lacey! The rayon challis makes it fall so pretty. And the color makes it look rich in my opinion;) Kudos to you, mama! You inspired me to make one in challis - will alter mine with a bateau neck, I'm thinking🤔 Thanks for sharing...Happy stitching! - Celeste, Brooklyn NY #SeeCelySew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds cute! I hope you see your version 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

George and Ginger Little Black Bra - pattern review

I have been obsessed with the George and Ginger Lovesick Bralette {now called the Little Black Bra} for the last few weeks. I have made 3   5  a million of them in these past few weeks! I've been sewing up a storm during the Shelter-in-Place orders from COVID-19 and thee bralettes have been perfect to wear when lounging around or working from home. This is the first and at this point, the only bra I have ever made. This pattern was really attractive to me because I didn't need any special supplies, I could make it from fabric I already had. I actually made all of these from swim/athletic knit scraps I had left over. Also, it's a free pattern! If you go the the George and Ginger Facebook group , you can download the pattern for free. It's available in sizes 29AA-48E. Since I used swim fabric, I could also wear these as swimsuit tops. I might make some solid black swim bottoms so I can wear whatever tops I feel like wearing. Pattern tips I never print my patterns

George and Ginger 40k Sway - Pattern Review

Final product - 40k Sway George and Ginger Patterns gave the 40k Sway pattern away to celebrate having 40,000 members in their Facebook group. Look at how cute that neckline is? Of course I had to make this super cute freebie. As an extra bonus, there are directions for making a functional placket opening or faux opening. I opted for the faux placket because it's marginally easier and I have no reason that I need the opening to work but if you needed access to a port or to breastfeed, this top design would be great! I measure a size L12 (full bust 38") but I was at the top of the size range and worried it wouldn't fit in my arms so I decided to go up to an L14 and graded out to an XL16 hip. I checked my fabric stretch before sewing it as I was using a French Terry which is not always very stretchy. My fabric had 50% horizontal stretch and minimal vertical stretch (maybe 10%); the pattern says it needs 50% 2-way stretch so I thought I would be fine. Um.....no....It was way

Made for Mermaids Aaronica - Pattern review

Hello sewing friends! It's been a hot minute since I posted anything and I think I have only made two new patterns in the meantime. Life was very chaotic last fall and I didn't have access to my sewing supplies! The horror! 😱 And since then, well, I haven't been in the mood. It happens sometimes. I recently finished the Aaronica from Made for Mermaids, serious folks, I know I started this in February at least because I had thought I'd wear it on Valentines Day because the small dots are actually little hearts. And here it is, April. Also you can see in this photo, where the bodice goes up a little in the front on the right? Yeah, that's where I accidentally sliced through it with my serger when I was attaching the skirt. Whoops. It was a bad slice too, over an inch but whatever! It happens! Enough about my slow-poke sewing, to business! Pattern instructions Overall the instructions here are good. The photos are clear. There is only one place where I possibly didn&#