Skip to main content

Scrap buster - zip pouch!

Zip pouches make simple quick gifts and are a great way to use scraps of woven fabric. I recently made several quilts for gifts and a really cute owl pillowcase, which has left me with a lot of large scraps of woven fabrics. I'm seriously in love with this owl fabric and I wanted to use up every last little piece! Sadly it's out of stock now but they still have it in other colors.

Zip pouches are good scrap busters because they can be made almost any size. I have a small one, which was the first zipper I every installed (in a sewing class called "fearless zippers!") that I use when traveling to put earrings in so they don't get lost in my bag. Larger ones hold makeup or even bigger ones to hold an iPad or laptop!

You can use these same directions to make a pouch of any size based on size of scraps you have and what you want to use it for.

Materials needed:


Take your scraps out and cut strips which are all the same width, the length of your shortest strip is the maximum length your pouch can be. I used 3 strips, with the contrasting owl fabric in the middle. Sew your strips together with a 1/4 seam allowance, I use the edge of sewing machine foot.

My scraps were long and skinny so I sewed them all together and then folded in half to determine the size of my pouch. Then I cut my lining fabric to the same size. The lining was also a scrap, a large one from the boarder of a quilt. I always buy extra so I don't run out and then have a bunch left!




My pouch was a little longer than my available 9in zipper so I added zipper tabs from 4 small rectangles of fabric. Alternatively if your zipper is too long, you can cut it to the right length.

To make zipper tabs, cut 4 rectangles of fabric about 1 inch by 2 inches and sew right side to right side with your zipper edge in the middle. See photo below with the first rectangle pinned in place, the next one goes on top of it, right side down.


After sewing, trim out the seam allowance and fold the fabric back Then repeat on the other end of the zipper. When you are finished it will look like the photo below.



The tabs not only look nice but they can help if the zipper you have is too short. Keep in mind you don't want to use too short of a zipper because it will make the opening of your pouch too small.

Using a zipper foot you next want to attach the zipper to the exterior fabric.


Then you want to attach the lining to the zipper with your zipper foot. It helps me to figure out how to orient the pieces by checking how it will look when it's opened up and make sure it's correct.


Then you do the other side, sew the exterior and lining. It will look like the image below, the lining is on the back. Looks cute huh?


Next, unzip the zipper. This is really important or you will have problems turning your bag. Flip your lining up so the lining is right sides together and the exterior is also right sides together. It will be kind of like bat wings and look like the photo below.

Pin it in place. Sew along the edge with a 1/4 seam allowance, making sure that you use care when going over the zipper area. I usually stop sewing and use my hand wheel to go over the zipper. When you get to the lining, you need to leave a 2-3 gap so you can turn the bag. I like to leave this in the middle, not too close to the corners.


Trim the seam allowance down in the corners to reduce bulk. In the photo below I could have gone a little closer on the right side!
Pull your bag out through the gap you left in the lining. Put the lining inside the main pouch to check it the right size. If your sewing or cutting isn't accurate, it could be slightly too large.

Edge foot
If the size of the lining is acceptable, you want to sew up the escape hole you left in the lining. Pull the lining out of the bag and make sure the seam allowance is neatly folded to the interior. Press it to keep it place and pin it together.

Sew along the very edge of the bag, as close as you can get. This is where the edge foot is really helpful because you can move your needle to the left a little and then sew with your fabric edge running along the guide on the foot. This is one of my favorite sewing feet, it makes your sewing look amazing!

Give it a quick press and you have a cute pouch using your favorite fabric scraps! These are great for make-up bags, storing charging cables, pencil cases and many other uses. They are also a good way to use up additional cuts of cute woven fabrics!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George and Ginger 40k Sway - Pattern Review

Final product - 40k Sway George and Ginger Patterns gave the 40k Sway pattern away to celebrate having 40,000 members in their Facebook group. Look at how cute that neckline is? Of course I had to make this super cute freebie. As an extra bonus, there are directions for making a functional placket opening or faux opening. I opted for the faux placket because it's marginally easier and I have no reason that I need the opening to work but if you needed access to a port or to breastfeed, this top design would be great! I measure a size L12 (full bust 38") but I was at the top of the size range and worried it wouldn't fit in my arms so I decided to go up to an L14 and graded out to an XL16 hip. I checked my fabric stretch before sewing it as I was using a French Terry which is not always very stretchy. My fabric had 50% horizontal stretch and minimal vertical stretch (maybe 10%); the pattern says it needs 50% 2-way stretch so I thought I would be fine. Um.....no....It was way

George and Ginger Little Black Bra - pattern review

I have been obsessed with the George and Ginger Lovesick Bralette {now called the Little Black Bra} for the last few weeks. I have made 3   5  a million of them in these past few weeks! I've been sewing up a storm during the Shelter-in-Place orders from COVID-19 and thee bralettes have been perfect to wear when lounging around or working from home. This is the first and at this point, the only bra I have ever made. This pattern was really attractive to me because I didn't need any special supplies, I could make it from fabric I already had. I actually made all of these from swim/athletic knit scraps I had left over. Also, it's a free pattern! If you go the the George and Ginger Facebook group , you can download the pattern for free. It's available in sizes 29AA-48E. Since I used swim fabric, I could also wear these as swimsuit tops. I might make some solid black swim bottoms so I can wear whatever tops I feel like wearing. Pattern tips I never print my patterns

M7574 - raglan top or dress

 I liked M7574 so much I accidentally bought two copies. Whoops! I got around to making it around Thanksgiving for a Christmas shirt. I made length C with sleeves B for a long sleeve shirt. I had looked around for a holiday print knit for weeks and couldn't find anything I liked when by chance I hit the jackpot on the Joann's clearance table! This was a red llama fabric cotton knit with a small amount of spandex, I think 3%. The black sleeves are double brushed poly that I had in my stash, which I think was from LA Finch Fabrics. Pros I didn't realize it until I made the pattern but the raglan sleeve is curved on the front. I really like this and it adds some nice interest to the top. It has a two piece sleeve, which I love! You don't usually see this on a knit pattern and I really like the contour that it adds. The back seam is also contoured nicely. If it's going to be cut in two pieces it shouldn't be straight! That is a pattern pet peeve of mine, it's n