Skip to main content

Twig + Tale wild things baby shoes - Pattern review

I don't buy a lot of indie patterns but these Wild Things baby shoes from Twig + Tale were too cute to resist. This was my first pattern from Twig + Tale which mostly has patterns for children, since I don't have kids, I don't make a lot of kids' patterns.

completed raccoons
I have a friend who is currently pregnant with twins and I wanted to make some things to send her for the little ones. These baby shoes were just so cute I had to make them. I suppose I should also make her something practical, like burp cloths but we need something cute too, right?

I have made baby shoes before and found it quite challenging because they are so darn small. I think the first time I made a size 0-3 months, which is tiny. It can be hard to work with such a small seam allowance and sew around a curve if you are inexperienced, which I was. If you are an inexperienced sewist, it will help if you choose a larger size.
completed foxes

I later made another pair and did like 9-12 month size and it was such a long time before the baby was big enough to wear them! But I recall them still being hard to sew!

I chose to make size 3-6 months for this project. Based on their due date, I was thinking the babies would then be able to wear these during the winter and spring when it's chilly for their feet. I would say I'm an intermediate sewist now and I did not have any problems assembling this size.

Since both little ones are expected to be boys, I decided to make one pair of foxes and one pair of raccoons. The pattern offers a lot of different animal choices which was good too so I could choose two different animals to make for the kids and they wouldn’t be too matchy-matchy. I will say it is missing a puppy option! (*hint*hint*)

I found the pattern instructions to be clear and easy to follow, except in one area – sewing the face on. First, I would suggest putting a lightweight interfacing on the back of your front face piece (ie where you will embroider the eyes & nose) for more durability. But more generally I found the directions for the faces to be a little lacking. I didn’t have any problem but if you are novice, you might.

The pattern pieces for the faces are kind of odd because the patch pieces are shown on top of the round face piece (if you cut out your patch, you’ll cut up the face piece). I made this work ok by cutting the round face piece and then the patch piece but it still seems strange to me that they are printed to overlap.

The example in the pattern is for the bear face, this is fine but it’s all sewn on however if you are using any of the animals with patches attached there is no direction on attaching the patches. This would apply to the fox, raccoon and panda.

I decided to attach my patches by edge stitching around the patch on to the face. This probably would’ve turned out better if I had used an edge foot, but I made these while visiting my aunt and used her machine, which didn’t have one. However, it's a beautiful vintage machine that belonged to my great grandmother, so it also has it's advantages.

The pattern is well designed to have all of the raw edges enclosed. I have seen a lot of free baby shoe patterns where there is a raw edge inside and this is definitely preferable to avoid irritating little feet.

Other than this, I think the directions were clear and these turned out adorable! I will definitely consider making this one again for future little ones.

This post contains no affiliate links and I have no relationship with Twig + Tale patterns. All opinions expressed are my own and I did not receive any compensation for this review. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George and Ginger 40k Sway - Pattern Review

Final product - 40k Sway George and Ginger Patterns gave the 40k Sway pattern away to celebrate having 40,000 members in their Facebook group. Look at how cute that neckline is? Of course I had to make this super cute freebie. As an extra bonus, there are directions for making a functional placket opening or faux opening. I opted for the faux placket because it's marginally easier and I have no reason that I need the opening to work but if you needed access to a port or to breastfeed, this top design would be great! I measure a size L12 (full bust 38") but I was at the top of the size range and worried it wouldn't fit in my arms so I decided to go up to an L14 and graded out to an XL16 hip. I checked my fabric stretch before sewing it as I was using a French Terry which is not always very stretchy. My fabric had 50% horizontal stretch and minimal vertical stretch (maybe 10%); the pattern says it needs 50% 2-way stretch so I thought I would be fine. Um.....no....It was way

George and Ginger Little Black Bra - pattern review

I have been obsessed with the George and Ginger Lovesick Bralette {now called the Little Black Bra} for the last few weeks. I have made 3   5  a million of them in these past few weeks! I've been sewing up a storm during the Shelter-in-Place orders from COVID-19 and thee bralettes have been perfect to wear when lounging around or working from home. This is the first and at this point, the only bra I have ever made. This pattern was really attractive to me because I didn't need any special supplies, I could make it from fabric I already had. I actually made all of these from swim/athletic knit scraps I had left over. Also, it's a free pattern! If you go the the George and Ginger Facebook group , you can download the pattern for free. It's available in sizes 29AA-48E. Since I used swim fabric, I could also wear these as swimsuit tops. I might make some solid black swim bottoms so I can wear whatever tops I feel like wearing. Pattern tips I never print my patterns

M7574 - raglan top or dress

 I liked M7574 so much I accidentally bought two copies. Whoops! I got around to making it around Thanksgiving for a Christmas shirt. I made length C with sleeves B for a long sleeve shirt. I had looked around for a holiday print knit for weeks and couldn't find anything I liked when by chance I hit the jackpot on the Joann's clearance table! This was a red llama fabric cotton knit with a small amount of spandex, I think 3%. The black sleeves are double brushed poly that I had in my stash, which I think was from LA Finch Fabrics. Pros I didn't realize it until I made the pattern but the raglan sleeve is curved on the front. I really like this and it adds some nice interest to the top. It has a two piece sleeve, which I love! You don't usually see this on a knit pattern and I really like the contour that it adds. The back seam is also contoured nicely. If it's going to be cut in two pieces it shouldn't be straight! That is a pattern pet peeve of mine, it's n