Skip to main content

Structure, structure, structure! Underlining

***I will update this post as soon as I can with photos. Unfortunately my phone broke recently and I lost all of my underlining photos!

It has been a busy few months and progress on the fancy jacket has been slow...I apologize to those of you who have been following the project! I have been doing some sewing but unfortunately it has been focused mostly on a quilt I'm making a friend for a wedding gift - there's a deadline!

However, I have underlined my jacket recently and you're overdue for a project update! Without further ado...

Underlining helps a garment to curve toward your body, it rounds it to give it more shape. It's commonly confused with interlining, including at the fancy local fabric store I sometimes visit, which is used to add warmth to a jackets, for example. The underlining goes between your wool fashion fabric and your silk lining.

For your underlining, I would suppose you could use almost any woven cotton fabric? Not really sure about that. I'm using a white cotton batiste. I did check for this at my local JoAnn's since I was in the area and they did not carry batiste, so I went to my local fabric store and they had it in stock! If you don't have a good local store, you might need to order it online if you want batiste.

You will want to pre-wash and dry your underlining. I'm not really sure why need to pre-wash since the jacket is dry clean only but E told me to do it and I do what she says! Sometimes with a little complaining :-) about how long it takes, and I am always pleased with the results! So I suggest pre-washing and drying also.

Cut out all of your pieces in your underlining, pay attention to make sure you are on the grain line as approporiate for each piece. I am sure you do this all the time anyway, I know I do (not always) but in this case it is very important for the function of the underlining. Take on of your fashion fabric pieces and its accompanying piece of underlining, lay the wool fashion fabric wrong side up and the underlining over the top of it, lining up the edges.

You won't see the underlining, so it doesn't really matter if the right or wrong side is up. Mine was plain white and also did not really have a right/wrong. Place a pin in the middle of the piece through both fabric layers. I found extra long quilting pins to be good for this process.

Now, with the side of your had you want to gently stretchy the underlining away from the center pin toward the top of the piece, pulling it slightly past the edge of the wool peice on the bottom. Pin the underlining down so it is taught and extends slightly past the wool fashion fabric. Continue gently stretching the underlining with the side of your hand vertically from the center pin until it's pulled taught. You will also want to pull/stretch from the pin to the bottom in the same manner. After you have fully stretched the underlining vertically, you want to also do it horizontally.

After you have it pulled tight, you should have ~1/4-1/2 inch hanging over each edge, trim this excess off and the stitch down the underlining to the fashion fabric. This stitching should be in your seam allowance, I am constructing my jacket at 5/8" so I sewed my underlining at 1/2".

Important note: at one point I tried to do this assembly line style and stretch the lining for several pieces and then sew it on. It did not work very well, as they were waiting to be sewn the underlining un-stretched somewhat and I ended up re-doing them, also plan to use a LOT of pins.


At this stage of the project:
Estimate total hours: 10
Estimated cost (not including sewing classes for help): $150, still need to buy lining. Fancy local store has a nice silver Dupioni silk but it's $35/yd....I was prepared to buy it for 20/yd but I had misread the tag...so still looking...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George and Ginger 40k Sway - Pattern Review

Final product - 40k Sway George and Ginger Patterns gave the 40k Sway pattern away to celebrate having 40,000 members in their Facebook group. Look at how cute that neckline is? Of course I had to make this super cute freebie. As an extra bonus, there are directions for making a functional placket opening or faux opening. I opted for the faux placket because it's marginally easier and I have no reason that I need the opening to work but if you needed access to a port or to breastfeed, this top design would be great! I measure a size L12 (full bust 38") but I was at the top of the size range and worried it wouldn't fit in my arms so I decided to go up to an L14 and graded out to an XL16 hip. I checked my fabric stretch before sewing it as I was using a French Terry which is not always very stretchy. My fabric had 50% horizontal stretch and minimal vertical stretch (maybe 10%); the pattern says it needs 50% 2-way stretch so I thought I would be fine. Um.....no....It was way

George and Ginger Little Black Bra - pattern review

I have been obsessed with the George and Ginger Lovesick Bralette {now called the Little Black Bra} for the last few weeks. I have made 3   5  a million of them in these past few weeks! I've been sewing up a storm during the Shelter-in-Place orders from COVID-19 and thee bralettes have been perfect to wear when lounging around or working from home. This is the first and at this point, the only bra I have ever made. This pattern was really attractive to me because I didn't need any special supplies, I could make it from fabric I already had. I actually made all of these from swim/athletic knit scraps I had left over. Also, it's a free pattern! If you go the the George and Ginger Facebook group , you can download the pattern for free. It's available in sizes 29AA-48E. Since I used swim fabric, I could also wear these as swimsuit tops. I might make some solid black swim bottoms so I can wear whatever tops I feel like wearing. Pattern tips I never print my patterns

M7574 - raglan top or dress

 I liked M7574 so much I accidentally bought two copies. Whoops! I got around to making it around Thanksgiving for a Christmas shirt. I made length C with sleeves B for a long sleeve shirt. I had looked around for a holiday print knit for weeks and couldn't find anything I liked when by chance I hit the jackpot on the Joann's clearance table! This was a red llama fabric cotton knit with a small amount of spandex, I think 3%. The black sleeves are double brushed poly that I had in my stash, which I think was from LA Finch Fabrics. Pros I didn't realize it until I made the pattern but the raglan sleeve is curved on the front. I really like this and it adds some nice interest to the top. It has a two piece sleeve, which I love! You don't usually see this on a knit pattern and I really like the contour that it adds. The back seam is also contoured nicely. If it's going to be cut in two pieces it shouldn't be straight! That is a pattern pet peeve of mine, it's n