Skip to main content

Fabric buying at Mood in NYC!

Thankfully, this project has coincided with a plan to go to New York to visit some friends because, honestly I don't know where else I would find boucle! Even online the pickings are slim, plus then you can't see it and touch it which makes such a difference.

This was the first time I've been to New York since I began sewing so it was my first trip to Mood. It was, in a word, overwhelming. So many pretttttyyyy things! Fortunately I was on a time crunch and had to stick to my list or I might now be mortgaging my house to pay for my fabric binge.

My boyfriend was also with me and looked all over the store for Swatch (the store pooch that occasionally appears on project runway) to no avail. He kept coming back to where I was to report "I found a water bowl but no dog" "I found a painting of Swatch but no dog." He was so disappointed!

It was also busy! I thought people did not sew anymore?!?

I recently asked at a chain store here in NC if they had boucle...they did not even know what it was. Sigh. Fortunately at Mood, they have a whole aisle!

In wool paradise!


I bought the following for my jacket:
  • 3 1/2 yards of tweedy deep plumb and white boucle - I intentionally avoided a plaid to make the sewing process easier since this is my first French jacket
  • 2 yards of deep teal china silk for lining - I'm probably going to get a different lining fabric as I now have reservations about the color I chose and thickness of the fabric.
  • 8 buttons - Mood gave me one that doesn't quite match so really I only have 7.
Swatch of my main fabric. It looks a bit black but is really a very dark plum/eggplant.

I still need:
  • A chain to weight the bottom - Mood did not have any, but M&T Trimmings has several options available online, unfortunately I did not have time to visit their NYC store
  • Trim - I did not like anything Mood had and my color is hard to match
  • Potentially new lining

 Does shopping count as project time?

Estimated total hours spent: 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George and Ginger 40k Sway - Pattern Review

Final product - 40k Sway George and Ginger Patterns gave the 40k Sway pattern away to celebrate having 40,000 members in their Facebook group. Look at how cute that neckline is? Of course I had to make this super cute freebie. As an extra bonus, there are directions for making a functional placket opening or faux opening. I opted for the faux placket because it's marginally easier and I have no reason that I need the opening to work but if you needed access to a port or to breastfeed, this top design would be great! I measure a size L12 (full bust 38") but I was at the top of the size range and worried it wouldn't fit in my arms so I decided to go up to an L14 and graded out to an XL16 hip. I checked my fabric stretch before sewing it as I was using a French Terry which is not always very stretchy. My fabric had 50% horizontal stretch and minimal vertical stretch (maybe 10%); the pattern says it needs 50% 2-way stretch so I thought I would be fine. Um.....no....It was way

George and Ginger Little Black Bra - pattern review

I have been obsessed with the George and Ginger Lovesick Bralette {now called the Little Black Bra} for the last few weeks. I have made 3   5  a million of them in these past few weeks! I've been sewing up a storm during the Shelter-in-Place orders from COVID-19 and thee bralettes have been perfect to wear when lounging around or working from home. This is the first and at this point, the only bra I have ever made. This pattern was really attractive to me because I didn't need any special supplies, I could make it from fabric I already had. I actually made all of these from swim/athletic knit scraps I had left over. Also, it's a free pattern! If you go the the George and Ginger Facebook group , you can download the pattern for free. It's available in sizes 29AA-48E. Since I used swim fabric, I could also wear these as swimsuit tops. I might make some solid black swim bottoms so I can wear whatever tops I feel like wearing. Pattern tips I never print my patterns

M7574 - raglan top or dress

 I liked M7574 so much I accidentally bought two copies. Whoops! I got around to making it around Thanksgiving for a Christmas shirt. I made length C with sleeves B for a long sleeve shirt. I had looked around for a holiday print knit for weeks and couldn't find anything I liked when by chance I hit the jackpot on the Joann's clearance table! This was a red llama fabric cotton knit with a small amount of spandex, I think 3%. The black sleeves are double brushed poly that I had in my stash, which I think was from LA Finch Fabrics. Pros I didn't realize it until I made the pattern but the raglan sleeve is curved on the front. I really like this and it adds some nice interest to the top. It has a two piece sleeve, which I love! You don't usually see this on a knit pattern and I really like the contour that it adds. The back seam is also contoured nicely. If it's going to be cut in two pieces it shouldn't be straight! That is a pattern pet peeve of mine, it's n